Child care issues are often the toughest part of any divorce. Child custody cases can get complex, and you will need the services of a qualified Cincinnati attorney to help you achieve a parenting arrangement that allows you meaningful and significant parenting time with your children.
In dissolution or divorce cases involving minor children, either the agreement between spouses or the court order ending the marriage shall name one parent as the custodial and residential parent of the children, or shall provide for the sharing of the rights and responsibilities related to the children under a shared parenting plan.
The specifics of the parenting time each parent shall be entitled to exercise with their children following the end of the marriage will be set forth either in the agreement of the parents, or if the parents are unable to agree upon a parenting time schedule, the order of the court. If the court is called upon to decide the issue, the court is to take into account all factors that may affect the best interest of the children, including:
- The wishes of the parents
- The children’s interaction and relationship with the parents, siblings, and other persons who may significantly affect the children’s best interest
- The children’s adjustment to their home, school and community
- The mental and physical health of all persons involved
- If the court has interviewed the children in chambers regarding the children’s wishes and concerns concerning the allocation of parental rights and responsibilities, the wishes and concerns of the children as expressed to the court
- The parent more likely to honor and facilitate court ordered parenting time rights
- Whether either parent has failed to make court ordered child support payments
- Whether either parent or any member of the household of either parent has previously been convicted of a criminal offense involving any act that resulted in a child being an abused child or a neglected child
- Whether either parent has continuously and willfully denied the other parent’s right to parenting time
- Whether either parent has established a residence, or is planning to establish a residence, outside the state
If your case may involve child custody issues, you need the assistance of a Cincinnati attorney who has experience with helping parents resolve the difficult and often complex issues involved in allocating parental rights and responsibilities regarding your children, and in trying those issues in court. Please contact the Law Office of John Heilbrun today to schedule your consultation. Mr. Heilbrun is proud to serve clients in Hyde Park, Blue Ash, Lebanon and all other areas of Greater Cincinnati.