Thoughts for Choosing a Divorce/Dissolution Attorney
Going through a dissolution or divorce can be one of the most traumatic and stressful experience of a person’s life. The way the related issues are resolved can impact you and your children for many years to come. Therefore, choosing the right attorney will be one of the most important decisions you make during the process.
With so many divorce attorneys offering their services, finding the right one to help you can be overwhelming. If you have friends or family members who have gone through the process of ending a marriage, by all means, ask them about their experiences with their attorneys. Any recommendations, positive or negative, can be of value as you begin your search.
When you attend an initial consultation with a potential attorney, come prepared to ask the lawyer important questions about his/her background and experience. This will help you decide if this lawyer is the right person to represent you.
Some questions you may want to ask your potential attorney during this initial consultation include:
- How long have you been practicing family law?
- Is family law the primary focus of your practice?
- Will you personally handle all aspects of my case, and if not, what is the experience and background of other people who will be involved in working on my case?
- Are you trained in the Collaborative Divorce Process, and what is your experience in such cases?
- Do you have the litigation skills necessary to assist me in adversarial court proceedings if that should become necessary?
If you are not comfortable with the answers you receive, keep searching until you find an attorney who you feel comfortable with and trust.
John Heilbrun has more than 35 years of experience helping people in the Cincinnati area who are going through a dissolution/divorce. He understands the issues involved and has substantial experience in all of the potential processes available to resolve those issues.