Under Ohio law, “spousal support” is the preferred legal term for alimony. Whatever you call it, Hyde Park alimony attorney John Heilbrun can help you navigate your divorce or dissolution proceeding and pursue the spousal support agreement you deserve.
An agreement to pay spousal support should be fair to both members of a divorcing couple. Please call experienced alimony attorney John Heilbrun today at 513-370-2312 to begin building your case. Mr. Heilbrun is proud to serve clients in the Hyde Park area of Ohio.
The Role of Income in Alimony Cases
One of the most contentious issues in any divorce or dissolution case is the allocation of future income between spouses. To try to ensure that the lifestyle you enjoyed during marriage diminishes as little as possible, it’s important to find an alimony attorney who will fight for your rights if spousal support becomes an issue.
Though the domestic relations court takes into account many different factors when deciding whether or not a spouse qualifies for alimony, one of the most substantial is the difference in earnings and/or relative ability of both parties to make a living after the marriage ends. Generally speaking, you might be entitled to alimony payments if your partner was the primary source of income, and there is a significant difference in the income and earning capacity between you and your spouse.
Defining Earning Ability
When examining the earning ability of either spouse, the court will consider:
- Education level of each spouse
- Physical or mental health issues that might limit the ability of one of the parties to find or maintain gainful employment
- Parental responsibilities, and how practical it would be for the spouse primarily responsible for a child to work outside of the home
- How much time and money it will take one of the spouses to get necessary education or training before finding a job
- The employment and earnings histories of both spouses.
Mr. Heilbrun can answer your questions about spousal support and help you determine the best way to proceed with an alimony claim in your divorce proceeding. If you and your spouse are ending your marriage, please contact The Law Office of John Heilbrun or call 513-370-2312 today to schedule a consultation. Mr. Heilbrun serves clients in or around Hyde Park, Ohio.