Like any legal dispute, the amount of time it takes to end a marriage often varies on a case-by-case basis. If you’re considering divorce, don’t miss the opportunity to pursue a financial and parental arrangement that benefits you and your children. Hyde Park divorce attorney John Heilbrun can provide qualified guidance through every step of the process.
A divorce proceeding begins when the domestic relations court receives a complaint for divorce. From this point until the court issues a final divorce decree, your Hyde Park attorney can help you gather all relevant documents and information to assist in the resolution of issues arising from the end of the marriage.
The length of this process of resolving the issues arising from the end of a marriage will vary based on the specific details of your case. Some factors that can affect the timeline for the finalization of divorce include:
- The length of time it takes for both sides to exchange all relevant information and documents
- The nature and volume of the assets and debts you and your spouse share or hold separately
- If you and your spouse are the parents to minor children, whether the two of you are able to agree on the issues related to the allocation of parenting rights and obligations
- Whether either party will have a spousal support (alimony) obligation to the other
- Your ability and your spouse’s ability to come to a mutual agreement on disputed matters
How quickly a divorce proceeds is often influenced by how well the parties are able to work together to end the marriage. Spouses who are able to move forward positively might benefit from collaborative divorce, a process that emphasizes resolving issues amicably and diminishing feelings of animosity.
On the other hand, if a divorce action is filed and the parties cannot come to an agreement, the case will proceed to a hearing or trial before the court. A judge will ultimately be responsible for resolving all relevant issues, and the process will take much longer.
If you’re facing the end of your marriage, please contact The Law Office of John Heilbrun or call 513-321-3940 today to schedule a review of your case with our experienced Hyde Park divorce attorney.